PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Concorde question
View Single Post
Old 5th Apr 2011, 17:32
Brit312

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
During the take off roll there was a power check called (by the FE, I think). I've heard this on recordings and videos variously as "power checked" and "Power set". Assuming they are one and the same check, which is correct
?

I think you are referring to the 100kt call, when the F/E was expected to give a call as to the state of the powerplant [both engine and reheat] achieving desired power for take off. He was assisted in this decision by the illumination of 4 green lights [ one per engine] which came on if the engine power was OK. Should one green light fail then he would confirm the correct engine operation by observing that engine's N2 and Area position

If all OK at 100kts the F/E would call ---- "Power Set"
If not all Ok then he would call ----------" Engine Failure" which would
result in a rejected Take off

In the early days there was no concession and every take off had to have 4 green lights illuminated so the call then was " 4 Greens" , but when the concession came along that term would not fit so the change in call

The concession were
1] one green light out [seeabove]
2] and basically if weight, and airport conditions allowed it a take off could be continued even with one reheat failed at 100kts

Up to 60 kts the F/E could reselectt a failed reheat so hoping it would be
OK by 100kts
At 100kts the conditions in the above concessions applied
Above 100kts the take off would continue even if a reheat failed however
if another fails when below V1 the take off would be rejected

So finally to answer your question the correct call [well in 1998] was

" Power Set "