PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PPL annual flying hours question
View Single Post
Old 5th Apr 2011, 13:31
Genghis the Engineer

Received 52 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by AdamFrisch
I don't think stalls belong in there and certainly not nav exercise.

I think stalls are for primary training and when getting to know a new type. Other than that I don't think safety would be improved by going around stalling. Besides, you don't learn anything new. It's vital to recognize a stall in the aircraft your flying, but frankly, if one can't recognize it in any type of aircraft I think one has some more training to do.
I always make sure I'm familiar with the stalling characteristics of whatever I'm flying, and would certainly consider stalling, and stall warning, characteristics to vary very considerably between types. Apart from that, stalling a balanced aeroplane is a perfectly safe thing to do, taking a couple of minutes in the middle of a flight. The regular practice means that a prompt and effective stall recovery is instinctive. Plus Pilot-DAR's views, which I agree with.

Nav. Well, each to their own but I can tell you that I never ever do a full flight plan taking in the variation, deviation, crosswind component etc. Only time I've done all that is when I've had a checkride/skills test! I'll do a rough mental calculation and then I'll use VOR's and other aids like GPS. Tracking a VOR will nicely tell you what crosswind component you have. Only time I'd reconsider is if I had to do a long overwater leg with no options to deviate, let's say a ferry flight to Greenland or something. Then, for sure.
I have had an occasion or three when weather has forced me to divert to somewhere with no navaids, and an overcast was making GPS reception erratic at best. I've also had navaids fall over on me. So, I'm afraid that I just don't agree with you that in crap weather, making a diversion, with a GPS not working properly, is the time to remind myself of all those basic nav skills I've not practiced for a couple of years.

I'm also interested that you seem slightly to regard the PPL syllabus as a maximum, not a minimum standard of flying? I suspect you're far from alone in that, but I can't say that I agree with you - I keep hoping to progress beyond where I was when I passed my first licence 18 years ago.

G