PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Landing NORDO at KDCA
View Single Post
Old 5th Apr 2011, 11:16
stuckgear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I spent my whole career thinking if a controller cleared me do something and I thought it was safe I could. Now I have to figure out if he had the authority? Once a controller told me to descend immediately to 9,000 ft and an FAA inspector was giving me a line check on a descent. I said I would have to slow to 250 at 10 telling the FAA guy that only the administrater can authorize high speed below 10. If the FAA guy hadn't been in the jump seat I would have done it but I liked my license and job a lot. Once these guys were told to treat it like an uncontrolled airport the monkey was on the controllers back and if they felt safe they should have landed as they did.
Bubbers,

Nail, Head; direct strike.

This for me is the big concern, and postulated similar considerations to yours earlier in the thread

There is also a wider context to consider here in that if active aircrews are subjected to a 'witch hunt' following operation in compliance with the regs, in compliance with SOPs and the advice of ATCOs when no incident or conflict is encountered, then how does it stand for crews to have to second guess that every decision made during operation that is in compliance with the regs, with ATC with SOPs could result in a 'career ender' ?

If anything, the potential career advancement motives of Babbitt and Alkalay undermines the regulatory base of the FAA and its safety standards by leaving crews doubtful of the regs, SOPs and advice of ATC.

Babbitt and Co are not only playing a dangerous game, they are, in effect, in conflict with the mandate of their own regulatory body.
Safety is a primary issue for all of us. Decisions need to be made within a critical time line; there is not the capacity to debate, seek legal advice, seek alternative legal advice, debate again, form a committee, discuss, seek legal advice... ad nauseum, hence my disgust at the likes of Babbitt et al. seeking to further their own agenda rather than deal with the issue itself.

Lets look at cause and effect... What was the cause for this incident to arise, a fatigued controlled on duty by himself... ? Answers on a postcard to Bandy Rabbitt, c/o FAA Oklahoma City, Oklahoma.

Deal with the cause, not the effect or it's all just painting over the cracks and pushing the responsibility off to the those dealing with the problems, not making them.