PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Victors, Vulcans and Cuba
View Single Post
Old 5th Apr 2011, 06:33
The Oberon

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Sorry Dan but during all the years I was at Wittering I never saw a special pit. It was a case of jacking the bloody things up, 35 ins for a "wet one" and 37 ins for a training round as I recall. The Victor did have bomb bay side fairings that were supposed to be removed to allow Blue Steel to be wheeled in from the side, loaded and tested and then replace the fairings, but it was quicker to jack up. If a Mick or a Mickey Fynn was called it was a case of everyone in and jack up and then hang around and wait for the armourers.

I'm not completely sure but I think the lower B.S. fin had originally been connected to the landing gear mechanism but after a couple of failures when the fin didn't fold when U/C down was selected, the standy blowdown system was used. BTW please don't ask about the sterile area on each pan or the ex MQ baths that you were supposed to jump into if you got an HTP leak on you and your denims caught fire !!!

Willard, there were some Vulcans that had 4 wing hardpoints originally intended for Skybolt. These were subsequently used during Black Buck missions when a variety of presents from Uncle Sam were hung on.