PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Well done CAS
Thread: Well done CAS
View Single Post
Old 4th Apr 2011, 17:04
Melchett01

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I have to say that having had a look at some of the comments left by people on all the various outlets, the one thing that struck me was just how far we as a country have descended into self-obsessed ignorance. I whole-heartedly agree with NUFC1892's comments about Monday morning headaches!

I find many of the arguments put forward to be hollow in the extreme. Pound to a penny that many if not all of these critics aren't concerned about the political, strategic or moral rights and wrongs of taking action in Libya, but just about the cost, God forbid that it might mean a reduction in what benefits they can claim.

I was also interested to see comments about how we were once again America's poodle, loyally following them into another bound to be disastrous imperialist oil grabbing venture. What they singularly have failed to appreciate is that the US was actually very reluctant to come and play in Libya, it was actually us and the French, coupled with some of the US press and commentators reminding Obama of his duty as "leader of the free world" that more or less dragged the US kicking and screaming into it.

But what really really hacks me of is that this uninformed, largely ignorant and wholly self-obsessed generation, are by their actions of being internet / media savvy and glued to the TV all day actually turning into the opinion makers which the politicians of all hues eventually end up bowing to.

Frankly, before they are allowed to post such drivel on line, they should be shown a blank map of the world with all place names removed, and told to indicate exactly where these countries they are talking about actually are. Only those that get within a reasonable distance - I'll give you a country either side - should be allowed to comment. But I bet you they haven't got a clue where Libya is. Actually, I can almost guarantee it, as that sort of task cropped up in my postgrad thesis, and back then when asked, people couldn't even find places in the UK once the names had been removed from the map. But even so, they are happy to spout their mindless drivel and conjecture which unfortunately all too quicky becomes opinion.

Right, rant off, someone give me a beer before I get really annoyed.

PS - well done CAS, it's great to finally have someone at the top state publically what we all know is true