PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Power first or flaps & trim?
View Single Post
Old 4th Apr 2011, 15:33
P.Pilcher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Little story to add to the discussion: My chief pilot was practicing to get his qualification as a type rating examiner on the good old Shed (Shorts 330/360). He was conducting a 6 monthly base check on yours truly under supervision. The last manueuver was to be an assymetric ILS which went without a hitch from which I had been briefed to expect to land. At 200' I therefore declared runway in site and applied full landing flap. The descent continued but my chief pilot decided on an extra emergency so he called for a go around at 100'! Now, normally this is not done with full landing flap, so I opened the throttle to full climb power, applied the necessary rudder and wound the nose up to the usual climb attitude. As a result I watched my airspeed start to collapse! The nose was therefore eased down until said speed stabilised at an acceptable value with the nose a tad above the horizon. The good old shed with its one engine running, but fortunately empty staggered back to 500 feet and I could then look around and realised the problem. We flew a circuit, landed and said chief pilot was understandably very red faced as he received a debrief from the supervising examiner. Fortunately my license got signed for another six months of night freight duties.

P.P.