PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PPL annual flying hours question
View Single Post
Old 4th Apr 2011, 14:41
Genghis the Engineer

Received 50 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Hamish 123
Genghis, fortunately for me, and I suspect the vast majority of PPLs and NPPLs, the CAA does not agree with your hypothesis.
Probably because such low hour pilots seldom fly outside of the direct or indirect supervision of an FI and therefore don't have much chance to f**** up. I wonder how many could pass their PPL skill test again however.

Out of interest, why point at me specifically rather than, say, SNS3Guppy who said:

Once a week really ought to be the minimum, but it's hard to do, and hard to justify, especially in this economic climate, and with the cost of flying today. If you can't fly once a week, shoot for once every two weeks, and do everything you can to maximize on that flying. If you can't do that, then shoot for once a month. If you can't do that, you'll be best spending your flying with an instructor to stay proficient, because you won't be flying enough to keep up your own level of proficiency. If
or PilotDAR who said:

I've got to agree with Genghis on this one. I onced asked my insurer, how few hours would I fly before you really worried I was not maintaining my proficiancy. The answer came back "With 6000 hours, we're fine with you flying ten hours a year, but less would concern us. For a less experienced pilot, less than 25 a year is concerning".

I know damned well this isn't an ideal world - I also however know that these two guys have been in flying a lot longer, and have a lot more hours, than me.

Blame the inexperienced pilot why don't you

G