PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Strike - Your Thoughts & Questions V
View Single Post
Old 4th Apr 2011, 12:51
VintageKrug

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One has to wonder why MissM is pretty much the only BASSA cabin crew member who posts on here.

I am entertained by his/her posts and there is definitely evidence that some of what is said here is registering, although there is also evidence that some of what is pointed out is simply ignored; one should remember that those crew who do frequent pprune probably do not post and simply lurk. Maybe only dipping in from time to time, rather than reading “religiously”. So there is value in setting out the position afresh.

Hence the need to reference and evidence any statements made.

It does seem to me that the 5,811 “hardcore” turkeys would probably vote for Christmas if someone from BASSA told them they’d get a good feed in beforehand. Much as I enjoy my regular interactions with crew on board, it is often (though not exclusively) the case that I am not dealing with the sharpest business brains. The decision to “trust” BASSA appears to be more of an emotional one rather than a deeply considered objective position.

It is clear that those who remain members of BASSA are harming themselves financially by denying themselves a pay rise, and paying union dues, harming the company for which they work and damaging the reputation of Unionism. BASSA is no longer a “Union” in the true sense of the word as its refusal to hold democratic elections, make its accounts publicly available and repeated refusal to allow crew to vote on proposed settlements demonstrate it is now following the agenda of the few and not the many.

I think DH’s employment tribunal judgement should be available today; it will make interesting reading, and I hope is widely circulated to cabin crew to evidence the sort of practices that their well remunerated rep thought he could engage in.

Far from quivering in my Church’s at the thought of a strike, I’m rather disappointed there doesn’t seem to be one in the offing; it would be a perfect opportunity for the turkeys to let off steam (and possible get broiled in the process), as well as demonstrating BASSA’s impotence. I’ve also never experienced a VCC flight (though have flown several sectors during previous strikes) and was rather looking forward to experiencing it.

One point of interest is the ending of the Facilities Agreement by BASSA reps themselves; I have seen this stated quite a few times, but is there any incontrovertible EVIDENCE this actually happened?