PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Future MPA
View Single Post
Old 4th Apr 2011, 11:45
keesje

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pious Pilot: I hope that blue senior officer is dense, the CofG looks way off.
I compared the configurations to ATR72 and Q400, and compensated for the heavy tail (turbofan, hose-drogue) by moving the wing backwards a bit. I heightened the vertical tail further too. It seems too small, it effectiveness would be degraded by the air inlet. Will do another CoG estimation though. Most of the systems and the refuelling boom in front also influence the moment..

I wanted to put maindeck fuel tanks close to the CoG, but I guess you don't want to have them in line with the hpt ..

WillDAQ Quote: Any suggestions?
That you should lay off the gold plating? This thing makes Nimrod look like an airliner with a laptop strapped to one of the seats and a hostess throwing life rings out the window.
The Nimrod was optimized for ASW, much bigger heavier and had 4 turbofans, the MR4 must have been gold plated, looking at the financials..

A machine like this should be cheaper (smaller, lighter, fuel efficient, less crew) and have more applications. It's not to be another Nimrod. E.g. MPA could transfer excess fuel if they relieve eachother in patrol areas.

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z...MPAstudy_5.jpg

About the 20mm, the only thing an MPA today does is make pirates hurry, getting on board before something with teeth arrives.

Last edited by keesje; 4th Apr 2011 at 13:44.