PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Surviving the Fulda Gap
View Single Post
Old 4th Apr 2011, 11:30
LFittNI

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interesting thread, this.

Elsewhere in this forum I've described the post-Berlin-Wall-coming-down circumstances which led me to be sitting in the cockpit of a Mig-21, being briefed by a Czech Air Force Colonel who just wanted to practice his English (pretty chaotic military and political environment at that time.)

I was actually more interested in the technicalities of the aircraft, but he did say that, yes, it would have been the Russians who would have been leading the thrust westwards (he mentioned three specific routes, as I recall).

Satellite state air forces would have been shoved around all over the place--in his case, his unit expected to be sent either south to cover Austria/Italy, or north to join Polish units "on the Baltic coast". He thought the satellite forces would be just used for "mopping up", and seemed totally confident that the sheer weight of the Russians would have been sufficient, which it probably would have been.

His opinion of Russian tactical nukes' usage was very high--as a compensation for poorly trained personnel elsewhere. The assumption was that NATO would have had to go for first-use in face of the overwhelming numbers, and that he and his satellite chums would have been happy to keep as far away as possible.

He mentioned that he hoped to be able to see Amsterdam at some point--hopefully not smoking too badly!