PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cathay and Cadet "Bonding"
View Single Post
Old 4th Apr 2011, 10:52
JayTee777300

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AZTEC.

Further to what GEH says and to put things back on a more civil footing, because you think B scalers are against the C scalers, you have it all wrong. I only post on here because I am trying to help all new joiners who come after me.

I don't want to be sitting in the seat beside another guy doing exactly the same job as me for less then 1/3rd the pay - which is what this deal constitutes - (as I'm sure A-scalers never found joy in sitting beside B-scalers earning far less) and sure, I do firmly believe that any lower pay-scale will further erode my own conditions so I guess that means we are all in it together (when management are talking pay do you really think they are saying "Gee... how do we bring these C-scale guys up to B-scale level" or is it the other way round "How do we bring these B-scalers down to C-scale level" much like they have done to the A-scalers over time).

This is not B-scalers vs C-scalers. This is current employees trying to protect new joiners, because we have seen the way the company works. Don't get me wrong... this is a great company with many many great aspects. But in some aspects, with regard to pay, conditions and contracts they can be downright sneaky (just ask any SO's who were told when they joined not to worry about all the DEFO's joining after them, as they would receive bypass pay. Only to have the company dispute the very contract it provided them saying that the section that pretty clearly says "you will receive bypass pay for any DEFO that joins after you" doesn't actually mean you will get bypass pay for any DEFO that joins after you! - but this is a topic for another thread).

So please believe me when I say we are on the side of new joiners, and many good people are doing their best to try and protect the interests of all pilots at CX.

This deal is not an improvement in conditions. Say a company pays $10,000USD a month to it's employees... but due to some financial crisis it decides it doesn't need to hire for a while. So it takes advantage of the situation and says it will now only pay $1,000USD a month. No one comes - but the company doesn't care because it doesn't actually need anyone. As things start picking up a couple of months later it says it will pay $2,000USD a month. Would this be considered an improvement in conditions? Sure it's 100% better than last months offer - but it's only 20% of the original pay deal. This is not an improvement, it's just management being tricky and testing the waters to see who is dumb enough to take the offer. (Of course these figures above are just round numbers I have used to illustrate the point)