PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Approach Climb Gradient vs EOSID
View Single Post
Old 4th Apr 2011, 08:35
Capn Bloggs

Received 76 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by 4 Dogs
Operational missed approach procedural design is much more difficult and not as commonly done due to the difficulty of establishing the actual commencement point of the climb and the related issue of keeping the operational missed approach flightpath above the Instrument Procedure obstacle clearance plane.
So it's left up to Capt and FO Bloggs to work it out themselves. How are we going to do that, given only some basic graphs in the AFM? I know that if I am below the APPR Climb weight we'll do the G/A OK, and that if I maintain at least 2.5% and follow the Missed Approach procedure I'll miss the hills by at least 100ft, the question is, just how do I work out a suitable weight to achieve that? For example, with say an MSA of 5000 ft, that's a temperature drop of 10° before I even start thinking of turns.

That's why I asked FlightPathOBN what he uses as terrain clearance parameters for his Missed Approach procedures.

Alternatively, here was I thinking that RNP approaches and their Missed Approaches would provide adequate terrain clearance OEI. Perhaps that is not the case.