PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Approach Climb Gradient vs EOSID
View Single Post
Old 4th Apr 2011, 00:10
FlightPathOBN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Terpster,

I am currently designing RNP approaches into Bandga, are you saying I should stick with the AFM climb gradients of 2.5%?.... how 'innovative'
I would say you should stick with FAA Order 8260.52.
I was being factious. All I do is design procedures, all over the world...

What I am having trouble with is is explaining to this forum, the plain and simple fact that TERPS and PANOPS public procedure designs are ALL engine missed.

The DA/MDA and missed approach, shown on the charts, unless specifically noted, is based on all engine.

For a start, the AFM requires the aircraft to be able to climb at 2.1% in the Approach-climb config at the airfield elevation, so that is the immediate go-around taken care-of.
The DA/MDA on the plates is based on a very simple concept. You decide to go missed, and 8 seconds later, the aircraft climbs at 2.5%. This is the basis for the 'level' section. The 8 seconds takes into account the decision and aircraft reaction time. Again, you are at flaps 30 or 40, idle descent, around 140kts...and in 8 seconds, you are telling me that the engines are spooled up, flaps are at Flaps 1, and you are climbing at 2.5%? This is what the obstacle clearance surfaces are based on.