PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emigrating to Aus - What about the Pension?
Old 16th Sep 2002, 19:57
madasacow

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks to all for the replies.

I have been doing a little investigation for myself on the newsgroups and in particular the misc.immigration.australia+nz newsgroup which is very helpful on both general migration issues and many specifics. Check it out if you are thinking about jumping ship down under.

There are several sites offering financial advice and assistance for those moving to Auz. Having read a little about the differences between the Tax systems I am convinced that I will need to bite the bullet and pay for some advice. Hate to do it but I am convinced a few hundred pounds of advice now may save much more in the future. Problem now is how to choose between the advisors!

ijp471
Thanks for the personal experiences. Always worth hearing how someone else made out even if you may not be officially licensed to give financial info Having been over there a couple of years ago (and off there again at Christmas) I can agree with your Cost Of Living assessment. Unfortunately, the tax system counts your worldwide income when assessing your tax liability but any UK tax paid will be taken into account.

Stan Bydike
I haven’t seen any details to confirm or deny the UK taxation of service pensions. However, if you are resident for tax purposes in another country I can’t see why they would tax it in UK but kilo52 may have a point. Seek professional advice.

tengah chum
I may be (feel) decrepit but I’m not that old

Regards
MAAC