PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Search to resume
View Single Post
Old 3rd Apr 2011, 21:38
mm43

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I haven't been ignoring the requests for information on the current Phase 4 search, but in all honesty there is nothing to report. The problem, as has been pointed out earlier, is that the "Alucia" is not fitted with an add-on to her AIS installation which allows the capture of her position by LEO (low earth orbiting) satellites.

While writing this, I received a phone call to tell me the debris field has been located and is apparently relatively compact, as I always imagined it to be.

However, I have managed to recover some additional media coverage of the Suape pre-departure press event. The following is my translation from the "AF447 - Mutual Aid and Solidarity Association" webpage -
You will find below the first components of our monitoring of the 4th phase sea search:
  • The captain of Alucia, operated by WHOI, is Hap Hayden.
  • The vessel left the port of Suape in Brazil on Wednesday, March 23, 2011.
  • She has to travel 520 nautical miles (about 960km) before reaching the site to commence the search.
  • The average speed of the vessel is 12 knots or about 22 km/h
  • After about 43 hours of navigation, the Alucia will reach the site on Thursday, March 24 at 16.00.
During the press conference at Suape, the presence of an associations representative during the recovery phase of any debris (phase 5) was raised. Jean-Paul Troadec, director of BEA, has expressed his reluctance, announcing recently that the subject was still under discussion. It seems clear that the BEA is opposed to this decision by Thierry Mariani, Secretary of State for Transport. The representative of the Brazilian Association has responded to JP Troadec that this decision was not negotiable. The "AF447 - Mutual Aid and Solidarity Association" also maintains that its presence is essential for transparency.

David Gallo, head of U.S. operations has confirmed a weekly report of research activities will be sent. This report will be posted on the website of the association, the same day or next day at the latest.

We will report regularly on the progress of this new phase of research ...
So, there is still a bit more "ducking and diving" to take place before this event is finalized.