PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Concorde question
View Single Post
Old 3rd Apr 2011, 20:16
Jane-DoH

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bellerophon

You call 3-2-1 Now, start your stopwatch, pre-set to countdown from 58 seconds, and slam the throttles fully forward till they hit the stops. Four RR Olympus engines start to spool up to full power and four reheats kick in, together producing 156,000 lbs of thrust, but at a total fuel flow of 27,000 US gallons per hour. A touch of left rudder initially to keep straight, as the #4 engine limiter is limiting the engine to 88% until 60 kts when it will release it to full power. The F/O calls Airspeed building, 100 kts, V1, and then, at 195 kts, Rotate. You smoothly rotate the aircraft, lift-off occurs at around 10° and 215 kts. You hear a call of V2 but you keep rotating to 13.5° and then hold that attitude, letting the aircraft accelerate.

The F/O calls Positive Climb and you call for the Gear Up. On passing 20 feet radio height, and having checked the aircraft attitude, airspeed and rate of climb are all satisfactory, the F/O calls Turn and you slowly and smoothly roll on 25° left bank to commence the turn out over Jamaica bay. Some knowledgeable passengers will have requested window seats on the left side of the aircraft at check-in, and are now being rewarded with a very close look at the waters of Jamaica Bay going by very fast! As you accelerate through 240 kts, the F/O calls 240 and you pitch up to 19° to maintain 250 kts and keep the left turn going to pass East of CRI.
I remember that -- the initial rotation was pretty normal other than being a bit faster, then from there it was brought up to a very steep climb (it feels worse than it is, but I was guessing it was around 22 or so degrees -- it has to do with eyeballing the angle of the horizon to the plane's current path -- 22.5 degrees is 1/4 the way up, 30 is 1/3, 45 is 1/2, 60 is 2/3's and so forth). Clearly I'm not a human ADI