PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Strike - Your Thoughts & Questions V
View Single Post
Old 3rd Apr 2011, 12:21
Ancient Observer

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Guarantees

Guarantees, and security of employment

Back in 1974, the Board of the UK's then biggest Company, in terms of market value, with well over 100,000 people, could see the need for vast changes in how the Company's operations worked.
They knew they would have massive TU resistance to what needed to be done. (Including openning many more plants outside the UK and closing UK plants - the broad equivalent of MF).
They had already introduced a UK-wide approach to annual salaries, consistent job grades across the UK and a highly respected procedure to deal with change - all negotiated with the TUs.

However, they had not fully dealt with MissM's problem.

How to provide "security of employment" when the business world made it obvious that providing such a thing was nearly impossible?

A rough-tough Scot, a Civil Engineer by background, persuaded the Board to work up a Board level "Security of Employment" statement.

I won't type it all in here, it is too long. (My copy is right by me).

In January 1975 that statement was published. All - TUs and managers, did their very, very best to live up to it for more than 30 years. I still had it quoted to me in 2008 when I worked temporarily for a Company from that group.

can Miss M's request for security be answered?

Yes, but only with a TU that can negotiate!!