PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pro rotary airfields
View Single Post
Old 3rd Apr 2011, 08:54
VeeAny

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A defence of Redhill and Wycombe

Having worked out of both Redhill and Wycombe I've always found them to be helpful to people who follow the published procedures.

Yes they can be a bit stern with those who don't follow the procedures but they are both more complex than most other places, Wycombe because of mixing Gliders and Heli and Fixed wing which they do really well, and Redhill likewise without the gliders but the added proximity of Gatwick, some of whom's airspace you are sometimes required to join through.

Redhill make it easy to pre-brief with a very detailed set of OS Maps showing noise sensitive areas and circuit patterns, the one criticism is perhaps that it should be made clear that the circuits are limits and not the centerlines of the circuit legs.

I have worked out of Redhill since 2002, sometimes more regularly than others , I am based there now and about once a month a genius will turn up who cannot read or cannot be bothered to read and they get pretty clear but stern instruction on how to get out of the fixed wing or helicopter circuit that they should not be in and how to get on the ground safely.

I know the SATCO well and he may not always agree with what gets said about Redhill but I have always found him first in the queue to listen to criticism and make changes when they are deemed appropriate, the system at Redhill works if pilots follow the published procedures.

This might help those who want to go there avoid the wrath of ATC Joining Procedures - Redhill Aerodrome

As an example I was flying out of there yesterday and I could not fault the coordination between the controller(s) and all of the based helicopters (I didn't notice any visitors) getting them across active runways between fixed wing traffic both in and outbound.

I am also more than aware that we are all human and we make mistakes, me included (perhaps more aware of that than most).

Places I enjoy going to are Andrewsfield, North Weald and Duxford.