PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Parachute dropping
View Single Post
Old 3rd Apr 2011, 07:08
DaFly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Soarfeet,

I have dropped a few guys in Swakopmund over the years and I must say, it was the most fun I had flying an aircraft.
At that stage I was flying for company doing scenic flights over the Namib Desert. After building up a reputation for good airmanship (well, what is considered good airmanship around the 500-1000h mark), I got to help out at the local skydiver's club. Back than I had the attitude, that I would never jump out of a controllable aeroplane myself, but if they felt like, why not.
What I enjoyed about the whole thing, you are flying the plane always at it's performance limits. On the way up you try to squeeze out just those 10ft/min more on the VSI, during the drop you try to maintain the slowest possible speed to make the exit as comfortable as possible, yet keep the plane stable with 3 or 4 people hanging on to the outside and on the way down you fly just below red line, making sure you don't crack the cylinders. That's what I enjoyed about this type of flying. And of course the crowd. It's a bunch of crazy people, in a nice way. At one stage one of them nicked the key from the ignition just before jumping out.
So yes, I did it mostly for the fun of it and the pay wasn't bad either back then. I dropped sky divers out of a C210, C206T and a BN2T. With the turbine Islander one actually lands before the last tandem touches down.

It is certainly not the way to up your total time by a large margin, if you aim at getting into BA, no airline's CP would be impressed finding the paragraph about "Drop Pilot" in your CV. But if your goal is more like making some money in a fun way, go for it. However, like any job, I wouldn't know how long the fun lasts, if that is all you do day in, day out.