PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: Senate Inquiry
View Single Post
Old 3rd Apr 2011, 00:58
gobbledock

Location: Alabama, then Wyoming, then Idaho and now staying with Kharon on Styx houseboat
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Low cost fares (whether sold by an LCC or legacy carrier) are the main issue when it comes to safety.
The following should be adressed:

1) The time has come for the laws to be changed to allow regulated airlines to unite and fix a price structure. The government (full of hot air and who will deny this) allow the oil industry to do it as an example, why not aviation ? Airlines could be heavily regulated on price structure, safety and profitability.
2) The days of $39 fairs must cease. Cheap fares do not enable an airline to reap enough profit to offset rising costs. Cheap fares do not empower an airline to spend adequately on training, standards, skilled people and future investments. I am not saying this to demean present aviation employees of which I myself am one, but it is a reality.
3) Public education is necessary, to explain why an airfare that is cheaper than a short cab trip to the airport is simply not sustainable.
4) Actual accountability by airline executives needs to be implemented and uphleld, finally. No delay in this taking place should be entertained.
5) Present airline business models need to be changed. Safety 'is and must be the the key mover behind the need for urgent change'. Politicians and the public are finally hearing from industry people, flight attendants, pilots, engineers and the list goes on just how dangerous the industry has become.

I hope the path to an accident that we are travelling on can be re-directed. Sadly the only people who can enforce change and restructure are the Politicians, most who are incompetent and weak spineless creatures. I only hope that now, with the current publicity and truths that are being unveiled that each politician thinks about his own ass and safety and that of his parents, wives, children and friends every time he or they fly. Politicians need to listen to the voice of the aviation industry. The Joyces, Dixons and Buchanans are disconnected. They sit in their ivory towers counting dollars while being fed BS stories about the condition of the airline from underlings. They DO NOT fully know or understand their own companies as they are shrouded, protected and concealed from reality. Politicians, talk to the front-liners, they are the ones with a grip on reality and have an accurate full picture on what is taking place.