PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Help! Need decent file recovery software
View Single Post
Old 2nd Apr 2011, 23:11
Melchett01

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Help! Need decent file recovery software

Evening all,

Could any of you kind PPruners point me in the direction of a decent file recovery programme? Long story short, my mother had her photos saved on her laptop; thinking it was job done, she deleted them off her camera SD card, unfortunately she didn't back up the laptop. Shortly after Christmas, the laptop went tits up and required the HD to be formatted, losing several holidays worth of photos.

Now I know that when you hit delete, you aren't actually deleting files unless you then overwrite the disk space with other data. However, having tried trial versions of various file recovery programmes, it would appear that not all are equal. Some have managed to find aroun 80 photos, being the 80 from the most recent holiday still on the card! Others have found around 300 (File Restore Professional), with other programmes coming in somewhere between.

So obviously, not all recovery programmes are equal; I don't mind paying for the software, but would rather pay for something that will recover all the files, not just a few. Does anyone have any suggestions? And is there anyway of being able to tell that you have recovered all the photos?

Thanks in advance for any help you might be able to give.