PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hunter XL573
Thread: Hunter XL573
View Single Post
Old 2nd Apr 2011, 21:22
BBadanov

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Foldie "Whirlywind - Shouldn't that be CI 237 OCU? Tsk Tsk!"

Foldie, you really are a pedant. By the time we moved up to Lossie we were more operational than your time on the unit. We had a war role, so "OC" was far more appropriate than "CI". But we did keep the "SNI" job title - that did seem appropriate in a lot of cases!!

Oops thread drift - back to XL573. I did not fly her at XV Laarbruch over 81-83, and if Foldie and cuddly old PP did, I would suggest she was kept on your side of the airfield? While I do remember going to Sation Flight on some occasions, I am sure we flew most Hunter sorties from the squadron. Therefore I suggest that over 81 to 83, 573 was on 16.

Re OCU use from WHIRLWIND f.1 (from a chap with a passion for flying I think you have adopted your Dad's callsign?) - I have it logged at Lossie only over 85-86. Perhaps after Laarbruch it went to servicing and storage to be reissued to Lossie in 1985? I note we did have it at Leeuwarden for the Sqn Exchange in Oct 85. No mention after 1986.

Now to Rhino's fine picture in 1986 of 573 with the OCU code "WC". Most uncomplimentary!! Here is a bit of Bucc historical trivia that not even Foldie and PP know.

When the wing formed at Lossie, the units (12, 208 and 237) adopted the then standard RAF squadron two-letter codes. Ie, lead squadron had AA, AB, AC, next sqn had BA, BB, BC. Get it? (You can see it say with the Jags, F-4s and electric jets, each adopting series starting AA, BA, etc).

Now the Buccs (and Hunters) went one better, just to confuse the Russians of course (gee, I hope this isn't secret). The first letter of the squadron badge was adopted as the 2nd letter, with the individual aircraft lettered as A, B, C as the 1st letter. 12 Sqn had the Fox, so its aircraft were AF, BF, CF, etc. 208 had the Sphinx and a/c AS, BS, CS. 237 had the Cutlasses, so Buccs were AC, BC, CC, etc, and I think Hunters counted backwards to be ZC, YC, XC and hence 573 as WC.

For you Foldie