PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pro rotary airfields
View Single Post
Old 2nd Apr 2011, 20:37
puntosaurus

I can really only speak for the South East, where bizarrely, two of the busiest airfields for helicopters are the least friendly. Redhill is rude and expensive, and Wycombe is just rude.

White Waltham is the nicest IMHO, Goodwood is worth a visit, Bembridge on the Isle of Wight is fun (actually, go land at the Priory hotel for lunch, even better), and Shoreham has a classic quality to it. Lashenden is rural and cute. Fairoaks is just depressing now that Longmint have cast their pall over it. Denham doesn't have a cafe to speak of, Elstree does, but also some eccentric ATC. North Weald is good for planespotting, Stapleford is good for meeting cabbies, and the small East Anglian airfields (Shipdham, Andrewsfield, Earls Colne) are quiet and rural. Duxford and Old Warden are good for obvious reasons.

Ranging futher afield Compton Abbas is gorgeous, and Caernarfon is like a trip back in time. Shobdon and Barton are good, but avoid London Ashford International, it's nowhere near London or Ashford, and has no international flights, besides which it's a bit bleak and windy.

There's a few of mine, I'm sure my colleagues around the country will be happy to help.

Last edited by puntosaurus; 2nd Apr 2011 at 20:51.