PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mega Merged: REX Recruitment/Cadetship and Working for REX
Old 2nd Apr 2011, 19:28
KRUSTY 34

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm not sure either what REX are thinking with this one. The experience level of these 2 are, One has a CPL with an expired IR, and some general flying experience, and the other has a CPL (no instrument Rating) also with a small amount of general flying experience. What makes it even more puzzleing is that they are qualified REX Ops Controllers, people that are not easily replaced!

Maybe as Kelpie said, REX are looking at Bare CPLs with a minimum number of hours (500 perhaps) in an effort to mitigate any future legislative changes, or perhaps just to streamline the training and speed up the process. It's safe to say these guys do not meet the min general entry criteria, although REX have changed that several times over the last few years as well!

For those interested the deal is.... 9 week live in course, not entirely sure of the structure but if you take note of past rhetoric, probably instruction on doing things the "REX way", then REX induction, SAAB groundschool (some or all of which may be included in the 9 weeks, I honestly don't know), then SAAB endorsement and line training.

Cost has been reported as $32K and the cost of the SAAB endorsement is per the General entry obligation of 2 year $15K bond. So I guess if you went out, got your CPL and possibly Command Instrument rating, paid the additional $32K you could theoretically find yourself in the RHS of the SAAB in as little as 3-4 months for about the same cost as the Cadetship, or even a little less?

As I said though, I'm not sure what REX are thinking with this one, it may just be a one-off. Not a bad opportunity for the 2 guys concerned, just hope it works out for them.