PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cathay Pacific Cadet Pilot Programme
View Single Post
Old 2nd Apr 2011, 17:16
SloppyJoe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chrisaviator

For those of you who feel that the conditions are not good enough, you are right, but please do not judge us as we all need to start somewhere, even if it means that we need to take one for the team now and again.

I firmly believe that we need to start at the bottom, work hard, take the hits and be prepared to compromise in order to get on in aviation these days seeing as low hours FO/SO jobs are few and far between.
There were no cadet schemes when I started my career. I did not even consider trying to get a job in an airline with 250 hours. You try to justify taking this huge reduction in terms and conditions because its just so hard to become a pilot, how else can you become an airline pilot

Amazingly most of the current pilots working for CX managed to do it and I would expect that less than 3% started with an airline straight out of flight school. I am not saying the cadet scheme is a bad thing for someone with no experience, if it was around when i started i would have applied but please don't say there is just no other way to become an airline pilot as justification for reducing the terms and conditions at the airline that was once the one that every professional pilot aspired to join.