PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SAR QHI - £65k
Thread: SAR QHI - £65k
View Single Post
Old 2nd Apr 2011, 10:15
Thomas coupling

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
6Z3: The facts. Lt QHI A2 with experience and full flying pay, what do you reckon: £48,000/year? Then we have a gold plated pension contribution from HM, say worth 10% of his salary: £5000. Then HM subsidises him if he chooses to live in married quarters: Say £3000. (Free food and accom onboard ships).
Then all the other bits and bobs attached to the job, like free courses, generous leave, mileage for duty travel, oh and free flying gear, uniform, medical support, dentists:lets say £2000.
And finally, if he/she has kids: Free private schooling:£12000/child is it now?
£72000/annum standing still and (SDSR excepting) also solid job prospects to the end of his/her chosen career path. Of course if the chosen applicant is a Lt Cdr, add another £10000/annum onto my figures.

So they leave all that behind and try to continue with their life style, but hang on a minute, no pension with the new job, medical plans, oops school fees have gone out the window (what if they had 3 kids?). Ooops no married quarter allowance......etc etc.
And by the way, this new contract they have signed up for is only 3 years!!!
[And they still haven't got their ATPLH because the job didn't ask for it, but they had the chance whilst still inside because HM would have paid for it].

Now while I fully sympathise with those who don't see money as the main issue here. Because having lived in Cornwall for 17yrs, I have to say, money most certainly isn't the main issue down in God's country
You have to understand this isn't about YOU. It's about an individual getting the proper remuneration for their skill set.
The equivalent to an experienced QHI A2 in civvy street is a Chief Training Captain/TRE, in my humble opinion, having flown it for 14yrs.
And to hold that position in the heavy transport licencing sector, possibly offshore / SAR - would mean a starting salary of atleast £85000+ and upwards.
I eagerly await any dissenters with that last statement.

That's the issue...not how you could make it work with your new £65000 plus your mil pension whilst remaining in Hayle in your chocolate box cottage.

It's about like for like out in civvy street.

Yes the employer will try it on, it's only natural and yes there will be a queue of ex culdrose drivers applying for it and if it works for them - great. It happens all over the place. But the ethics stink!

The irony of this particular contract is that the employers were once,SeaKing QHI's themselves from Culdrose