PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Heston: wartime crashes and incidents
View Single Post
Old 1st Apr 2011, 19:59
AWF118

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Heston 'Tempest' crash

Early autumn 1945 was locally very eventful then, what with the Ju88 crash a month later, the Fleet Air Arm show including, as far as I know, Heston's first, perhaps only, jet (Geoffrey de Havilland in the Vampire), and now that Firefly.

Whether the Firefly was the crash I referred to earlier though, I can only guess at this stage - if it was, then my recollection of a screaming high powered attempted dive recovery is wrong, and time has perhaps mixed up two different events. My ageing memory still says "Tempest" but I freely admit that could be wrong - having been (nearly) right on the Ju88 though, it would be nice to know whether I've got this one wrong or not.

Any crash of whatever aircraft in Winchester Avenue (which was certainly the location of the crash I remembered) would have only been between 1200 and a maximum of 2000 feet from the airfield boundary, though. If my memory has the correct Winchester Avenue back garden lodged in it, it was only 1200 feet, i.e., well under 1/4 mile, out from the boundary - and, although to the East of the airfield, also about 800 feet south of the extended straight out departure line.

On the other hand, a departing Firefly crashed there after engine failure would suggest a low speed starboard turning stall, attempting to swing back to pancake on Heston Park, the only open ground just east of the airfield. If so, he very nearly made it, poor chap. I saw an ATC glider winch launched out of the park one day, after it had landed short there.

So, don't really know if the Firefly is the answer I'm afraid, and won't unless somebody comes up with either a Tempest crash record, or the exact address of the Firefly crash.