PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Vulcan XH 558 Threads (merged)
View Single Post
Old 1st Apr 2011, 10:52
Evanelpus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Zero-1

As someone who spent a very pleasurable 10 years around Vulcans, it hurts like hell to say that I feel it's time to stop pumping money into this project. It's a huge drain on voluntary resources and I think the money would be better spent on preserving and operating other aircraft.

Quick question. With all the money that's been pumped into this project from day one, how many different aircraft could that money have been used for?

Sorry....The money pumped into this project from day1 would not have materialised for any other aviation project[s] and if this aircraft stopped flying then the finance for it would evaporate.... these people who have funded this aircraft for the last 10yrs would not fund anything else because majority of them are not interested in any other aircraft project.

Just like the moaners before who said in the past that the money should go to the air ambulance..... it just wouldn't happen...

Most of the people who have supported the Vulcan are not aviation enthusiasts and they will only support the Vulcan..

As to drain on voluntary resources? there is very little as the CAA originally said that no volunteers were allowed to work on the airframe so all the engineering staff are employed or contractors..... most of the volunteer team they had at Bruntingthorpe, now seem to be working at Beech Restorations..
When I said voluntary resources, I meant money not carrying out the maintenance work on the aircraft.

You are obviously, passionately involved with this project. However, I think that passion has clouded your judgement somewhat.

I've never subscribed to the 'air ambulance' scenario. When this project started all those years ago, it was understandable that a fundraising effort was needed to get the project on it's way. I don't think those people who did give to the appeal expected to be asked so many more times for additional funds. That could be down to people not understanding what a four jet engined aircraft needs to keep it flying.

I stopped giving ages ago because I felt that VTTS were never completely transparent about it's dealings (I know a lot of my mates also went the same way because of this). The Trust, rightly or wrongly, earned a reputation for being very clicky and secretive, not a good trait when you ask for thousands of pounds from Joe Public.

Whichever way you cut the pie, the Vulcan is an expensive folly. Only time will tell if the public are willing to continue to support her.