PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A320 Speed tape on PFD
View Single Post
Old 16th Sep 2002, 11:02
nightbird

any 777drivers out there?

Hi OVERTALK

i havnt yet had a chance to check up on the Speed Tape on the Boeing Glass Cockpits.
i flew the B737-200, and the only tape that had was of the adhesive kind holding stuff togather!

Hope some Boeing Jock reading this enlightens us.(HELP WANTED!)

otherwise will ask the first one i meet next,and let you know.

Captain Stable seems to think that it is the industry norm.

Once again i would like to repeat my view that Unlike Military Pilots, Present generation of Airline Pilots are quite used to ignoring "feel" and "Outside reference" to the horizon.
They might ignore the PFD for short spans of time due preoccupation,but never for long.
BUT any positive flight control inputs to change A/C ATTITUDE is invariably done with sole referance to the PFD.(we dont know HOW TO any other way)
Even when we fly the machine "Visually",visual cues are only used, to laterally Align A/C with the Runway Centre-line and Touch Down Zone.
What the "inner ear" says,cant make both of them completely ignore the PFD,thats just not how it works anymore.
Also the contention that the PFD is located off to the left and that all the pre-occupation about flaps and Landing Gear were towards the Central Panel,and thus they failed to moniter the PFD,to me appears to be flawed.
A320 drivers can quite easily get almost all the neccessary Information required at any stage of flight while looking just at the PFD the ND(Nav Display) and the upper and lower ECAMs.
Indeed that is how they are trained to fly from Day one.
Looking at any ONE of these 4 Displays, still keeps the other 3 in easy "Peripheral Vision".
Of-course extent of "Peripheral Vision" is a function of "experience on type" and "stress levels existing"

My Contention remains that "not refering to the PFD" did not cause this Accident.
"Not being able to correctly comprehend the information on the PFD speed tape,due to poor design " caused it
regards,
nightbird

OVERTALK,

i am still getting the hang of "Cyber space"
So it might take me a while to figure out how to forward all this to
[email protected]
would really appreciate it if you could do it for me.

As they say " if ONE Human mind misread that PFD once, potentially ANY human mind can misread it again"

i think we should try to nail this MINDTRAP before it claims other victims.
Thanks again
nightbird