PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Landing NORDO at KDCA
View Single Post
Old 1st Apr 2011, 03:40
sevenstrokeroll

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I"ve read some interesting stuff.

I do agree with the concept that the system needs fixing. but, what if there was no conroller to hit the fire alarm?

Well, it is common practice to radio to the company station that one is 'IN RANGE" with an ETA for landing. This is done about 30 miles out...most often with a simple push of a button, or touch screen on ACARS.

IF the plane was expected to land at X time...the staff would be outside waiting for the plane to pull up to the gate. And, if those company employees saw a large ball of fire on the runway, or near the runway, I am sure they would call the fire department.

DCA is a compact airport...One could walk from the gate to the runway in about 2 minutes (if security didn't shoot you first).

Airlines have a form of flight following...and while it is somewhat automatic, if a plane were over due, someone would notice and start things rolling...if the tower were busy sleeping it off.

Non routine flying is almost always a bit more dangerous.

While we don't have all the information, our company procedures would include asking a station agent/staff to actually go out to the runway area and look around to check the landing surface and report by field set to the plane...these procedures are very old school and have been around since we picked up the mail without landing.

I would have loved to do my favorite ''uncontrolled airport entry" flying over the field at 3000 feet, circling to my left and observing the wind sock, traffic pattern indicators in the segmented circle...the wind sock having a light on it for traffic pattern side...

Of course I probably wouldn't do this at DCA as I know it well enough and had the wx info etc.

I am greatly encouraged to learn of a , non public plan, which allows dca to be declared uncontrolled.