PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Approach Climb Gradient vs EOSID
View Single Post
Old 1st Apr 2011, 00:16
john_tullamarine

Received 92 Likes on 61 Posts
Nothing in the CFR states, "a pilot shall" , a 'pilot' can/should/or would

I am having trouble believing what I have been reading if the protagonists are presumed to be competent.

Consider -

(a) compliance/certification with the Design Standards ends up in the Type Certificate and the Flight Manual. These are the documents at the top of the aeroplane food chain ..

(b) the Flight Manual gives you limitations and operating requirements which include things such as WAT limits

(c) can I ask you to explain the significance of FAR 121.173(d) which says something like

The performance data in the Airplane Flight Manual applies in determining compliance with §§121.175 through 121.197 ...

To my simple mind it follows that, if you are required to follow the operations documentation .. then you are required to follow the Flight Manual requirements ?

there's a difference between Design standards and Operating Rules?

I suggest that the philosophy is along the lines that the Design Standards start the ball rolling with a nice new shiny aeroplane. The Operational Standards then address both the implementation of the Design Standards within the operational environment and all those other things which pertain to operations but which have naught to do with Design Standards.