PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Landing NORDO at KDCA
View Single Post
Old 31st Mar 2011, 21:55
chuks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, well... I guess it must be that systematic approach to safety that they have tried to get us to apply. This was a systems failure and it needs to be fixed in a systematic way, not by just suspending a guy who fell asleep at oh-dark-30 and thinking that has sorted out the problem!

I think some of us are missing the point by simply saying, "Well done that crew! Safe landing, no probs, nothing to see, please disperse!" This was not the way the system is meant to work and the safety net there had some obvious holes that I would like to see patched up.

To go into chest-pounding mode, suggesting that only a sissy would have done anything but press on to land in somewhat unknown circumstances.... Well, bully for all of you macho men but the point is exactly that we should have a system that doesn't leave us needing to make a decision such as that on the spur of the moment, perhaps overlooking some important considerations. Not least, there was no idea exactly why that tower went quiet. Too, had the controller perhaps cleared a vehicle onto that runway before taking his unscheduled snooze? Again, no real idea, hmmm?

I think we can all envision looking right at the destination runway, all lit up and looking good, with the only obvious problem being "no answer" from the tower, a seemingly minor detail. How about the long chain of possible problems that minor detail might bring with it, though? How about making a mess of the landing, as sometimes happens even to the best of us, and then having no one to hit the crash alarm?

Are you landing without the required fire protection if the man meant to call the Fire Department is asleep at the switch? It seems that way to me, sort of! Of course I had to think that one through; it certainly would not have occurred to me in flight when I was busy sorting this one out!

I would like to see this incident looked into in depth, thoroughly analysed. That is all. If most of you think that it was already sorted out by two safe landings, well.... Good luck with that approach to aviation but it is one I was trained to get over. There is a little more to safety than just skill and daring.