PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Article on VUELING pilots living like gipsies
Old 31st Mar 2011, 21:03
BusDriverLHR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As you mentioned, easyJet is one of the highest utilisers in the UK of P2F cadets but also one of the most heavily unionised, so if that airlines workforce isn't prepared or can't act against it, what hope is there?
Exactly. I think it's a case of "isn't prepared" more than "can't". In an ideal world the Easyjet company council would have made it very clear that they would not accept a P2F scheme at Easy. In the same way they would make it clear they were not willing to accept a pay-cut.
The problem is that current pilots have a real vested interest in fighting a pay-cut, but, beyond moaning about it, they don't seem willing to fight P2F.

For BA and Iberia to strike could make a difference but is it really fair to ask these pilots to strike, causing huge financial losses to their respective airlines when those airlines have no involvement with P2F schemes anyway? Especially when they offer good T+C and training to new joiners?
Perhaps my example of Iberia/Vueling is bad one. What I should have said is that it's up to the current Vueling pilots to put an end to P2F. If they fought it as strongly as they would fight a pay-cut, then it simply wouldn't exist.

The reason P2F doesn't happen at BA/Iberia isn't because we have a wonderful, caring management. It doesn't happen because our management know the pilots simply wouldn't accept it.