PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Good Situational Awareness
View Single Post
Old 31st Mar 2011, 12:09
Conventional Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuji, your situational awareness of this thread appears lacking, post #4? OK I'll concede it is not actually a 'list' but very informative and some food for thought for the planning of my next flight. It could easily be made into a 'list' for reference before take off.

My SA was awful throughout the PPL, it's improving exponentially with the ability to fly the plane instinctively and free up mental capacity for other things. I would certainly say my instructor was teaching me it all along, but am only now able to apply it. Also plenty of 'I wouldn't do that again' experiences.

A shorter list for SA might be

Airspeed

Altitude

Brains

and remembering that one requires at least two at all times during a flight to get home. (The old ones are the best ones)

Key issue, are all pilots aware of their awareness? If one can be honest enough to know it is not all that great at least it is a start to improving it. Some mental capacity put into every subsequent flight to improve SA will no doubt lead to the whole thing becoming more natural. My next flight is a short nav revision after a long break, I'll see just how much of what SNS3 has said I can include into it.