PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airbox offerings Aware 5 Plus vs Clarity
View Single Post
Old 31st Mar 2011, 11:41
Humaround

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have an Aware Plus and am broadly happy with it.

It is a different unit to the Clarity, though there are family resemblances. Clarity has a different GPS receiver (though I'm quite happy with the performance of the Aware). I haven't used a Clarity so can't say how much better it is than Aware.

On the whole the route planning facilities of the Plus are worth having though they are very basic compared to most aviation GPS units, and rather expensive at £100 extra (still only half the price of the Clarity) plus another £40 if you want to use the Fastplan software (which is PC only at present and again, very basic).

The new 5" Aware with planning still well below the price of Clarity (which is 4.3" like the smaller Aware). Although the screen size of the small Aware does really seem quite small in use, and the resolution is quite low (480x272 compared with 800x600 for the Clarity) they aren't yet saying what the resolution of the 5" Aware will be - it would need to be quite a bit more than the 4.3 to be worth the extra IMHO.

The Aware unit has very little in its database apart from airspace. No info about airfields apart from their location and what's on the 500 chart.

There are lots of other opinions about the Aware if you do a search.