PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Article on VUELING pilots living like gipsies
Old 31st Mar 2011, 09:09
Mercenary Pilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
With the amount of negativity P2F generates and the way pilots chastise their employers for running these schemes, you would have thought that BALPA would make it a major campaign to get members behind it and try to put an end to P2F, but last time I flicked through a copy of The Log it even had adverts for such schemes.

As you mentioned, easyJet is one of the highest utilisers in the UK of P2F cadets but also one of the most heavily unionised, so if that airlines workforce isn't prepared or can't act against it, what hope is there?

For BA and Iberia to strike could make a difference but is it really fair to ask these pilots to strike, causing huge financial losses to their respective airlines when those airlines have no involvement with P2F schemes anyway? Especially when they offer good T+C and training to new joiners?

And lets not forget, the company which is blamed for starting all this (Ryanair) doesn't even have a recognised union at all so its crews would just have to carry on as normal, and in fact I'm sure MOL would be more than happy to offer cheap flights to all those pax who would be affected by strike action.

I think what needs to happen is for somebody to point out to their MP or to HMRC or to make some kind of legal challenge to the European courts against business's that are charging for training, not paying minimum wage and handing out unfair contracts. If its deemed illegal (which it should be) then companies just couldn't do it anymore.

Although I didnt always think so, I do now agree with you and think it is wrong to blame wannabees for the P2F. They are just trying to get on the first rung of the ladder and are receiving no solid professional advice on what to do or where to turn next.

However I think the solution lies with the regulators and owners, not the users of, EU airspace.