PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Good Situational Awareness
View Single Post
Old 31st Mar 2011, 07:32
Sir Niall Dementia

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Black Jake;

That report may have something. I spend a lot of time flying with pilots of widely varying degrees of experience (low time ppls at the flying club-multi thouand hour ATPLs at work). I always notice that those pilots who come from a relatively "low tech" background have the best SA.

One real stand out point is that SA appears to improve with experience, and is at its best in the two crew environment. The two crew environment is fairly obvious, 2 brains not working to their full capacity and questioning the decision making of each other. As for experience, that is just what it is. You learn a lesson, you don't forget it, next time a situation arises the old lessons are applied and modified as needed.

Some of the best situational awareness I have ever seen is in low level police and EMS helicopter pilots, they tend to be very experienced and call on all their own knowledge as well as that of the observers/medics as they need it.

I'm not sure if SA can be taught other than in a very basic form. The pilot must then take the basic tools and develop it for himself using every tool he can, be that the list from SNS3, reading about bad situations, or just listening to the sheepish confession of a friend who has just c***ed up over a beer in the flying club bar.