PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Financial assistance for AN staff.
View Single Post
Old 16th Sep 2002, 04:30
Pole Vaulter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Al E. Vator,

The size of the problem re financial hardship and personal hardship after the AN collapse are at a level far greater than the pilots experienced in 89. Ansett when it collapsed was more than pilots, it was approx 16000 people of which some 700 were pilots.

(1) 89 was restricted to pilots who resigned and should in some way expected, if things did not go their way would be out of a job.
(We don't want a discussion on resigning just the differences)

(2) A large percentage of ground staff had a long carreer with AN as they were proud to be long time employees but try getting a job in your 50's when you past experience is 25 or so years with an airline.

(3) Except for the pilot group (Who had their own Super fund)most ground staff received 8 weeks redundancy when they should have received up to 104 weeks pay and some of their Super. In 89 all resigning pilots received their full entitlements.

The pilot group do not expect a fund of their own as you suggest I start but all groups of staff are all offering support both financial and in many other ways to groups in both flight crew, cabin crew and ground staff. I was not in fact employed by AN at the time of the demise and am no longer in the airline industry but it has not reduced my involvement in helping out a range of people ,both aircrew and ground staff in whatever way I can. Most ground staff are in far greater need of help on this occasion for reasons already given.

The sadness we read about on another thread has been repeated numerous times in other staff areas but you are most likely only aware of the Aircrew incidences.

We all need to be available to whoever calls to help whether it be in dollars or support or just someone to talk to as there are many out there suffering in many ways.