PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Modular V Integrated (Merged) - Look here before starting a new thread!
Old 30th Mar 2011, 21:01
Bealzebub

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
but lets be honest, we'll all get there in the end
You think? A nice idea, but it would not be "honest" to suggest that is the case. The attrition rate has always been significant, and nothing suggests that will change anytime soon.

If I were to offer an open fully funded scholarship (and I'm not doing by the way,) whereby the winner could select their own training programme from one of three routes, those routes being:

1)Integrated training course leading to airline cadetship.
2)Integrated training course for CPL/IR (ATPL writtens included.)
3)Part time, modular training for CPL/IR (ATPL writtens included.)

I would be amazed if less than 95% of applicants ticked other than box 1.
I would be even more amazed if the remaining 5% ticked other than box 2.

The point of the hypothesis being, that it really comes down to a question of absolute economics. If choices 1 and 2 and not affordable, then it really only leaves one choice. Whatever the advantages 1 or 2 may afford are irrelevant if they are not realistic options. Given the very large sums involved, that is going to be a de facto reality for the vast majority of aspirants.

I admire your achievement, determination and success to date Christian, which should stand you in good stead for the future. However many people here take the viewpoint (understandably) that the risk is dependant on the ability to achieve a relatively quick return. That often seems to result in people distorting the reality of what is actually happening, in order to make their own numbers fit.

Attrition notwithstanding, there is a large body of hopeful opinion that suggests it is an equal playing field provided you simply obtain a licence. That in turn often fails to identify where the goals are, or what the realities of the game itself are.