PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - All-PRNAV airports
View Single Post
Old 30th Mar 2011, 20:50
IO540

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, I don't think this is wise actually
I get your drift but operationally speaking that's how the world wags...

Czech Republic for example doesn't allow flying VFR on top
That's undetectable and thus unenforceable, and irrelevant in this context which is Eurocontrol IFR procedures But, yeah, I didn't know that... so they join the UK among the very few places where VFR above a OVC is not allowed without an IR.... trust my old countrymen to be anally retarded. They had to employ all the old workplace spies in some way...
Germany on the other hand has a legal (AIP being used as a legal basis) requirement for the PIC to seat in the left-hand seat
I wonder how they deal with flight instruction where the student is not legally capable of being PIC in the airspace in question? Not that it's relevant here, either. Anyway, one would just swap seats when enroute, surely? Might be interesting with a girl student... one of the fringe benefits of instructing, hey?

In your case, check Jeppesen plate 10-1P4 for LKPR and you will see that your PRNAV issue is taken care of by the Jeppesen people...
Well spotted In the past this occassionally used to be a note on the plate itself.

I think P-RNav is likely to become more and more common, though, with more RNav approaches popping up all over the place, and ICAO wanting to have an RNav approach on every instrument runway within a few years (I think 2018 was the target?).
RNAV is OK. I don't have an issue with that, because as I said RNAV is de facto necessary just to fly in the IFR enroute system.

Equally, RNAV (GPS) approaches are a non event.

It is the gradual creepage of PRNAV which concerns me, and many others, for GA.

The funny thing is that PRNAV is a boat which left the port many years ago because GPS/RNAV approaches are equiv to RNP0.3 (on the final approach track) which is what PRNAV is enroute, but an EASA GPS approach approval is a minor mod, whereas a PRNAV approval is a major mod (under EASA) So basically PRNAV is an idiotic thing to be pushing now. 15 years ago, yes. But it's past its time.

Obviously somebody bent EASA's ear, several years ago, and told them that unless they make the RNAV approach approval a minor mod, GPS approaches will for ever be dead in the water in Europe.

But nobody has yet told the arrogant t0ssers sitting in their bunkers that PRNAV will kill IFR GA if it is allowed to spread, especially to any enroute airspace. I suppose, mind you, that transiting PRNAV airspace will never be checkable (practically, within the present-day ATC framework).

On an N-reg, PRNAV is more doable - if you have a Gamin 430/530/W. I don't know the details (my own GPS does approaches but is not PRNAV-paperwork compliant anyway). And US FSDOs do 337 approvals FOC. You just need a US agent to submit the approval for you because the NY IFU has stopped doing 337s.

But the aircraft I fly are all P-RNav-approved, it's easy for me to talk about a P-RNav world and forget the very valid point you make about the cost of the approval.
What do you fly? Jets I assume.