PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Good Situational Awareness
View Single Post
Old 30th Mar 2011, 20:39
Fuji Abound

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pace - well if you read my last post we essentially agree because I took care to say you can teach anyone, anything, but you cant teach them to excel. If you say so I couldnt teach you to run a sub four min. mile any more than I could teach my 93 year old Dad, but I could teach you how to reduce your mile time by a surprising amount.

In terms of pilots there are those that will always struggle but with good teaching you can get a lot more out of anyone willing. The problem with most GA pilots is they have had very little teaching after they qualify and the teaching they had pre-PPL while adequate for the task is inadequate for them to spread their wings; that is why the fortunate few fall into the hands of a good mentor,while most give up, or without knowing it resign themselves to being always a far less able pilot than they might.

It is for those reasons that I believe you can teach most pilots techniques that will help them improve their situational awareness enormously - they will probably never be as good as you, given the hours you have accumulated and your wealth of experience, but they will be much better than they were. Some will find it harder than others to see the plot and a few may never get it, but given time everyone will do better.

Last edited by Fuji Abound; 30th Mar 2011 at 20:55.