PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - All-PRNAV airports
View Single Post
Old 30th Mar 2011, 19:21
IO540

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aircraft not certified for P-RNAV can also utilize
STARs with certification for B-RNAV.
OK, that would be normal, but is this printed on the plate? Nobody reads the AIP.

Aircraft not certified for
RNAV may incur delays and/or extended routing during peak
periods.
Well, a non RNAV capable aircraft won't get to LKPR in the first place because the whole IFR enroute system has been purely RNAV for at least 10 years

Only a pilot-in-command of an aircraft not
certified for B-RNAV shall inform the ATC when establishing
the first radio contact.
There won't be many of those since BRNAV has been mandatory for yonks, FL095+

RNav has been mandatory in the UK above FL100 for quite some time, and is now (or very soon, I can't remember the exact date) mandatory for almost all UK airways. The reference is in AIP ENR, somewhere near the beginning. If I get time later on, I'll try to dig it out unless someone beats me to it.
Actually BRNAV has been mandatory for FL095+ in Europe.

RNAV is merely the capability to fly direct to virtual waypoints, which is how the IFR enroute system has been working for yonks. VOR/NDB or any other navaid navigation has not been used for at least a decade.

Indeed they are proposing reducing the FL095 level.

I'm not familiar with Czech rules, but this is the way IFR flying is going in the UK, and presumably worldwide.
RNAV is the way flying has been for many years.

BRNAV is a certification level for the IFR GPS (in the GA context).

So nobody should have the slightest issue with RNAV or BRNAV which are the de facto only way to get about (IFR GPS). It is PRNAV which is the worrying bit because not only it is very hard to get (esp. under EASA where it is a major mod) but also it excludes most of the older avionics, regardless of having RNAV capability. It also involves crew certification.

Realistically, any IFR GPS can fly to PRNAV accuracy but without the paper approval for the aircraft, you "cannot go there". In the past, when I saw airports publish PRNAV-only procedures, there would normally be 1 or 2 non-PRNAV ones which one could use. But Prague seems to have done away with that.

What obviously happens is that 99% of the time one is radar vectored anyway (for departures too, IME) so no need to tell ATC your plane/crew are not PRNAV approved. And the rest of the time? I can't see anybody bothering; just fly the procedure as published. It's 100% GPS anyway which is easily accurate to RNP0.3 which is what PRNAV is.

Yeah, Prague is pricey these days for landing but not too bad for the odd visit. Not like LGW at £500 a pop.

I don't think LKPR is PPR BTW. They always told me to just file a flight plan (as if I was going to fly there without one ).