PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Good Situational Awareness
View Single Post
Old 30th Mar 2011, 12:27
Pace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would go further and say that pilots withgood situational awareness have dominant visual brains. I knew one who could operate totally without a checklist and very quickly by purely darting his fingers around the panel to the right switches in the right order! Tell him to recite the checklist and he hadn't a clue.
I see the brain as a computer one part on board memory the other the graphics card.
The guy lucky enough to have a powerful graphics card with tons of on board memory can deal with a lot of visual information.
The guy with a poor card with low on board me memory has ro rely on the main computer memory to back up his graphics card otherwise he quickly freezes up or stutters.
You cannot be taught situational awareness you can put more information in the main memory banks.
I also knew another pilot who was detailed to the extreme . He planned every tiny detail and was an excellent pilot till one day his destination went down as did his alternatives and he no longer had his plans.
The poor guy could not cope survived but gave up flying as the experience scared him silly.

Pace