PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Landing NORDO at KDCA
View Single Post
Old 30th Mar 2011, 12:19
clunckdriver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, just back from a jaunt around Eastern Canada and the USA, the F/O and I having read this thread were already very stressed as we fiddled with all those thingamyjigs in the cockpit before starting those pesky GITSO engines. Our first T/O was from our home field, CSE4, WHICH LACKS ANY NAV CANADA ATC STUFF, by now the tension in the pointy end was right up there with my first try at finding the deck on a dirty night, then to add to it a recently de-hibernated Racoon wandered across the runway and no where could we find the wake seperation required behind a departing Racoon! and no ATC to help us. First landing was at our nations capitol {Disnyland on the Rideau} but we were by then safe in tha arms of our ATC system, and were cleared to land no less than three times, so that must make it three times as safe I gues? I could go on about the rest of our day {Clearing US/Canada customs, two more uncontrolled landings, the airports, not the landings, the last leg VFR over the familly farm but it might bring flash backs if I do recount the day} Really folks, Stuck Gear got it right, no tower? use uncontrolled procedures period, dont muddy the waters with a bunch of totally stupid crap, above all fly the airplane! As an end note the biggest mess Ive ever seen was when a fighter in a full burner T/O plowed throught a turboprop , killing and maiming the poor sods on board, a "controlled field," two controllers on duty plus an Opps B assistant, go figure!

Last edited by clunckdriver; 31st Mar 2011 at 14:31.