PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Strike - Your Thoughts & Questions V
View Single Post
Old 30th Mar 2011, 11:47
VintageKrug

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It’s a difficult conundrum.

The only way I can see it changing is for some of the broader BASSA membership (not the BASSA reps/management) to take an interest in the running of their Union Branch. I wouldn’t be surprised if Unite themselves would be keen to see this happen, either.

The first stage of this is to gain access to the accounts of their own £1.5m+ annual subscriptions, as they are legally entitled to do. Then to look in more detail how the money is disbursed; it’s all perfectly legal I’m sure, but there is always room for improvement and increasing value for money for members.

Having that financial understanding is the first stage to being able to launch a credible, democratic challenge to current ways of doing things, not to “bust BASSA” but to make it stronger and attempt (if that’s possible) to mend its tarnished brand.

BASSA is now a zombie union, with unelected leadership, disconnected from the employees they claim to represent as they no longer work there, no longer involved in any negotiations with BA by dint of BASSA terminating the Facilities Agreement itself, and an active interest in destroying the livelihoods of those they claim to represent in order to exact supposed revenge, as well as an active disinterest in settling, alongside a rather nice stipend as long as this dispute is ongoing.

Thankfully BA realises this, and is carrying on regardless; frankly I rather hope for a proper strike which should flush out the real level of BASSA’s support.

Meanwhile, forward bookings remain strong and my colleagues and I continue to fly BA without any fear of significant disruption.