PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Engine rebuild - UK recommendations?
View Single Post
Old 30th Mar 2011, 09:15
upupandup

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have had experience with most of the overhaulers mentioned in these posts in the past twenty years, some have been bad and some have been good. I personally only send my engines to Ronaldson and have done for the last 10 years. The newer companies on the scene I have only tested with component work to see what they are like. I have not being impressed enough to send an engine. I like to be open minded and try new company’s or 'reborn' company’s as they appear to make sure I am getting the best return for my £. I certainly do not believe in the cheapest being the best and certainly a high price doesn’t guarantee quality.

It is interesting to read ‘rumours’ about certain people or organisations. In my experience there does not tend to be much truth in them and they are normally vendetta based. I can only state the facts based on personal experience and as such can state that in approximately thirty engine repairs/overhauls I have only had two problems.
One was a faulty generator and the other a starter that packed up after a few starts. Both of these items were replaced during the repair/overhaul so were not down to Ronaldson. With that in mind, the replacement generator appeared within 24 hours of my call and within 3 hours the starter (delivered by courier). That is a level of service that is rare to find in the aircraft industry. The only negative I can say is that he does not suffer fools gladly (if this is a negative) and I guess he has seen a fair few of those in his time. I have always been up front and paid my bills on time and have never experienced any issues. I do query items when I don’t understand them but I have always found the explanations to be justified.

The other facility I have always found useful is the telephone support, this has been late at night or on weekends on more occasions than I care to remember. The support or delivery of parts has resulted in aircraft flying when owners thought it impossible.

In more recent years there has been a lady called Rachel that answers the phone, she is very good at technical support and chasing down parts at short notice. She also seems to deal with schedules and has made sure that shockloads have been turned around in a week and overhauls in 2 weeks when I have need them. The standard turnaround times are very good and pretty well are always as I need them.