PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Landing NORDO at KDCA
View Single Post
Old 30th Mar 2011, 04:30
Ditchdigger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
just because the person you sleep with is a controller doesn't mean she is correct.
Yeah. It really calls her judgement into question on a whole range of issues, doesn't it?

It can also be reasonable to EXPECT a landing clearance after being given an approach clearance to a specific runway. In those moments between approach clearance and the end of the runway, if landing clearance is not specifically withdrawn, one should continue to landing if in the opinion of the PIC it is otherwise safe to do so.
LOL! You should have heard her tone of voice when she said "No" to that assertion. To summarize her reaction, why bother with the landing clearance at all then?

She walked back in here four different times to make different points about what's wrong with your post. I'm not a fast enough typist to post them all before breakfast time (and it's only 15 past midnight here right now).

Well, I say that a controlled airport, when there is not one single active controller becomes, by virtue of the platonic argument, UNCONTROLLED.

Therefore uncontrolled aiport operations come into play.
Probably the easiest way to sum it up is to say that if your thinking is correct, then if the same thing were to happen at 5 o'clock on a Thursday afternoon, everybody should be expected to land just as they did the other night, because the rules would still be the same, and what we're talking about now is not whether the landings were accomplished safely, but whether they were accomplished within the applicable rules.

(And it won't do you any good to shoot the messenger, which is all I am at this point. I do have to say though, that for her to agree with anything that eminates from the FAA is rather noteworthy in and of itself. Take that for what it's worth.)

Amend my previous statement--she's been back a fifth time. Gotta hit the submit reply button before she gets back again....