PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - QANTAS A380 Uncontained failure.
View Single Post
Old 29th Mar 2011, 21:46
Annex14

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4-corners

I am more than only dissatified that this link was taken of this thread.
Four Corners - QF32
It is the first foto sequence that shows more than the ATSB fotos do. E.G. it shows where the stub oil pipe was mounted and it shows in that blow up of the recovered IP disk segment that there is decouloration of the bore section - blueish signature -
This leads to two conclusions:
a. there was indeed an oil fire that weakened the disk and
b. the stub pipe broke probably by fatique
What immediately raises the question what caused that fatique failure ??
If I am not completely off track fatique failure is caused by intermittend loads. We also know by those graphs published in the ATSB report that oil pressure was decreasing from normal levels but stayed well above critical amounts, as was the quantity of oil available.
This once again very clearly indicates the total failure of that oil tube happened at the time the engine disintegrated and only the oil spelled through the fissure had accumulated enough of an amount to start that fire.
It is by no means identified in that report what really is the cause of the selfdestruction of the engine and subsequently almost the loss of QF 32. But typically it mentioned that 19 engines had received a "new module" and just that one that blew apart didnīt.
But I think by now every one that has had a closer look to the sequence of events has to come to the conclusion that vibrations of an unexpected amount has killed that engine. Though outside leakage that also is testimony of the last incident of a QF airbius flying to London on 3 engines.
I believe it is time to release those unknowns of the engine behaviour. It may hurt RR but it will give a safer operation of that engine / aircraft combination a chance.
I hope that RR is far beyond our imagination of whatneeds to be done.
Jo