PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VFR flight to North Africa
View Single Post
Old 29th Mar 2011, 21:33
IO540

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here and here are fairly detailed writeups on VFR trips I did in 2004/05 down to Crete and Santorini. They will get you started on charts, etc. Here is one to Spain. All VFR.

Obviously in a C152 or similar you will need to do about 3x more stops than I did, which will take a lot longer because each stop introduces a variable delay and also a new piece of weather risk. The routes will also be different; not straight across the Alps.

From Crete or Spain, it is a short hop to N Africa. The challenges will be avgas, PPR, logistical stuff like that. Most African countries need permits to go there, both for overflight and for a landing. Morocco has been described as relatively easy but with not a lot to see.

I have never been to Africa in the TB20 but planned for Luxor (easy enough but v. pricey avgas and stories of having to bribe somebody with ~ US$2000 to get back out, which doesn't suprise me as I've been there 2x and you can't walk 10m as a tourist without somebody trying to rip you off) and Libya (hard because you needed to find a "local sponsor").

All people I know who have actually flown to Africa and did not make a total hash of it have used overflight permit companies to do the paperwork outside Europe. These countries are mostly deeply corrupt and to get the permits one has to bribe the right aviation ministry officials, and this is why you need the agents. I've got the names of several agents on the site but can't speak for any of them personally. I've heard very variable stories on how diligent they are...

Personally speaking, there is enough to see in Europe, and as one flies more to the south one finds the crap on the ground gradually increases, and for me Africa would be too much crap in relation to the flying enjoyment which is basically the scenery from the air. Apart from the well trodden sites in Egypt (Cairo, Luxor, Aswan) where the avgas situation is "interesting", there appears to be little in the way of stunning airborne scenery along N Africa. Of course it can be done and loads of people have flown in "spamcans" all the way to Cape Town but I am just saying this so you appreciate the logistics won't be trivial, and I've read enough of the accounts to know that if somebody tells you it is trivial, they have never done it. Then again, some people are "perpetually retired travellers" and enjoy any adventure and you may be one of those