PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ethiopian airlines aircraft down near Beirut
Old 29th Mar 2011, 16:26
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wonder if the FDR/CVR can tell us if the A/P was engaged and dis-engaged, was ever selected, or were they flying manually deliberately? What is their SOP in this regard? There are some operators that are manual until Flaps UP. daft, but true, especially on such a stormy night. Not the most freshest, most likely too.
Digressing slightly. How many of us are encouraged to scan SBY instruments. Remember Berganair as well. Today the NG has full LHS PFD on SBY electrics. Is this a customer options or standard? Anyway, when I did my command on B757, which did not have this luxury, I needed to demonstrate a SBY ILS. The same size dials as was the case on BAC 1-11. Good for the scan, power/ATT knowledge and precise trimming. One day in them sim the SBY RMI failed as well: sim fault but instructor let it run to see what happened. It was fun to fly the SBY ILS & ISA with old fashioned compass readouts by F/O. Good for crew coordination. Sweaty palms, but it worked. It also reminded us that the SBY's were there. I wonder about today's training. On MAP the 'needles' are out of view beyond 45 degrees. Do guys look just at the magenta line or do they look at the SBY RMI? On non-GPS a/c how do you know when you are within 5 degrees for descent on approach, or approaching the NDB inbd course for approach? Some of the old skills are still relevant; but never taught never learnt.